I don't know why I'm doing this, but sometimes you just need to shake things up a bit...

May 24, 2010

Hikes and loaves

Long weekend. Of course for the only supremely nice day of this weekend, I was at work, but that didn't stop me from going out for 2 great walks yesterday. In the morning, I had coffee with my friend and we went for a walk around town and had fun taking some pictures and then, in the afternoon she and I and some friends went out to the (still frozen)Kirchoffer Falls. The falls look to be very impressive. Seeing as yesterday was a pretty grey, dreary day, it wasn't the best, but we sure had fun. There were 5 of us plus one dog and we drove out together. As you're approaching the falls, you get to go over the longest bridge in Nunavut. There's even a plaque. The bridge is about the same length as my house. Ok, maybe a LITTLE bit longer. We had a great hike along the east side of the falls and it was my first real excursion out of town. The walk lasted about an hour and on the way back, one of the girls was lagging a bit and the rest of us were all walking ahead together. So, one of the guys had a hilarious idea... he'd look back, count to three, all four of us would then look back and start running. Awesome. To bad it didn't work. She didn't fall for it for a second. But, we did see some polar bear tracks in the snow. After a hard week, it was really nice to get out and get some fresh air and exercise. Something I didn't get today. The wind had really picked up today and brought with it some crazy behavior. I happened to look out my window this afternoon only to see a fairly active arrest going on in front of my house. A few minutes later I received a phone call warning me not to open my door if anyone knocked as one of the local carvers was out and about in a state of anger and yelling threats at a girl and throwing rocks at her near the Co-op store. So I stayed in and baked baguettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment