I don't know why I'm doing this, but sometimes you just need to shake things up a bit...

June 16, 2010

Ding Dong, the boss is on vacation!!!!

So, the big boss is on vacation and that has put the rest of us in vacation mode... work is so much more relaxed, the staff is happier and up to some hilarious pranks and antics. Yesterday, I was out in the warehouse and saw one of the cashiers about 12 feet above ground digging through a high shelf looking for coffee cup lids, while the quiet, shy stockboy was working away down below. The other manager came in and asked her what she was doing and when she said getting lids, he just looked at her and asked why she climbed up there because there were some on the bottom shelf that didn't require getting up on a ladder... From behind, we hear a little giggle.... We all turned and looked at our little guy, who was shaking with laughter under his shaggy mop of hair. I asked him if he'd sent her up there on purpose and he could barely answer he was laughing so hard. And oh, the profanities and curses started as me and the other manager nearly collapsed with laughing... The cashier, screeching the whole way down from the ladder, finally got down, and away they went. This particular guy is very laid back and never in a rush, and I have never seen him move so fast. She chased him around the store about 3 times, then back into the warehouse where she grabbed a broom and started swinging. She chased him all the way to the back, where, like some kind of monkey he managed to swing himself up onto a shelf about 8 feet off the ground where we have all the mattresses and was hiding behind the mattresses, laughing, as the cashier tried vainly to stab him with the broom, still yelling various profanities and insulting names at him. Attempting to assert my managerial position, I told her that while I could appreciate her frustration of having had to climb a ladder, killing our stock boy with a broom was not a valid excuse for closing up the convenience store and that she needed to return to work. I somehow managed to say this without letting out a snort. She huffed off, the stockboy got down and everything went back to normal. For 5 minutes. The other manager and I were walking through the warehouse and the cashier was filling a bucket of water with the hose to mop the floor. We giggled. She swung the hose. I got soaked. He laughed. She swung it again. We ran. The stockboy laughed and we blamed him for starting it. I went to the convenience store where she was mopping the floor. In perhaps not my most professional or mature moment, I moonwalked across the wet floor in my dirty boots. She hit me in the ass with the wet mop. I went out and yelled at the stockboy. He laughed at me because he, like everyone else, knows better than to take me seriously. Oh, how fun it is at the store right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment