I don't know why I'm doing this, but sometimes you just need to shake things up a bit...

April 26, 2010

Murphy is a sonofabitch

It's amazing what you learn about yourself and what to adapt to when taken out of your comfort zone. Only slightly more than 2 months ago, I was living in downtown Toronto in a big 2 bedroom apartment and I would get annoyed if I so much ran out of hot water from using to much. Or would get annoyed if my roommate cranked up the heat. And now, since moving up here, I've gone 2 nights without heat at all, have only just had my first shower where the water wasn't up to my ankles because the pipes are frozen and don't drain and have just spend the last 24 hours with essentially no water, and in all honesty, it really hasn't bothered me a bit. (There's where Murphy comes in...) Now, fortunately, I have a good friend up here who let me bathe at her house last night so in all aspects of personal hygiene, things were just peachy today. But basically, here in Coral Harbour, we have no "running water" from one particular source.Every day, a water truck makes the rounds and delivers water to a tank outside the house and that's what everyone in town depends on for their showers, kitchen faucets, toilets etc. So, on Friday, I guess the water guy forgot my house and therefore, when I came home for dinner on Saturday, I was a bit surprised to find that I had a little trickle and then nothing. No big deal, called the Hamlet and asked for them to send someone and I assumed they did. When I got home at around 10 that night, still nothing. What's "bollocks" in Inuktitut?! So fortunately I had a bit left over in my Brita, brushed my teeth and went to bed. The next day I went to hang out with some of the teachers and learned how to make mitts. I had an awesome time; these ladies are hilarious and fun and I had a fantastic afternoon. Walking home, I saw fresh tire tracks up to my house and thought "hoorah! Water!!".... no such luck. Apparently if you run out of water your pump has to be "primed", like I'm supposed to know how to do that?!? Yay for my wicked friend who let me come over and hang out and have a shower at her house. It's now 4h00 on Monday, and the guy who fixed my shower just showed up and got it working. And am I bothered? No. Am I stressed out? No. Am I loving Nunavut more and more each day because I feel more relaxed, less stressed, and enjoying the natural beauty up here? YES. For the first couple of weeks that I was here, people would ask me how I liked it, and I would tell them it was nice and I liked it because I had to try and convince myself. Now I'm saying it with a full heart, with happiness and gratitude that so far most people have accepted me as part of their community, welcomed me as their friend and invited me into their lives. Even if they like to scare me. Or laugh as I almost wipe out on my butt on the wet floor in front of the post office. Har.

No comments:

Post a Comment